Ten Bookish Questions (Meme)

I saw that this Meme was first introduced by Bookloving Writer who started all this fun on Booklikes and I know I have enjoyed reading everyone's answers. And I know I'm kind of late to this party but here I go with my answers :)

1. What book is on your nightstand now?

I have two physical books on my nightstand right now underneath my Kindle of course:

The Widow by Fiona Barton

Promises to Keep by Maegan Beaumont

2. What was the last truly great book that you read?

Wow a truly great read has to be something profound to me that changes what I read or even get me reading again when I'm in a slump.

So for changing the type of book I read, I would have to say Red Rising by Pierce Brown as I do not read a lot of Science Fiction and this book had me enthralled.

For getting me out of a book slump I would have to say Silent Scream by Angela Marsons which was a surprise favourite of mine last year and needed when I seemed to be only reading what i thought were 2 and 3 star books

And something truly profound will always be Harry Potter and the Philosopher Stone by J. K. Rowling. It was this book, given to me by my grandma all those years ago, that turned me into a book worm I am today and I have not looked back. Thank you so much Grandma :)

3. If you could meet any writer – dead or alive – who would it be? And what would you want to know?

Alive: Laurell K. Hamilton just so I can interrogate her (and maybe hit her....) as to why she had to ruin her Anita Blake series with all the sex and more sex and weird sex. I used to love that series and she was one of the first paranormal writers that I read.

Dead: I saw Murder by Death said Sir. Arthur Cohan Doyle, which is such an awesome response and wish I would have thought of it first. That would be such an interesting conversation. So not picking him, I would have to say Homer, the original writer.

4. What books might we be surprised to find on your shelves?

I actually have a lot of romance books on my shelf, I know that is a big shocker as I am so critical now of romance and sex scenes in books. This is going to sound strange but after Harry Potter I kind of moved on to romance books as they were also easy reads. The other reason I have them is after my grandma passed away a few years ago, I basically inherited her book collection which was a lot of romance books. I do not have the heart yet to donate them as they remind me of her.

5. How do you organize your personal library?

My bookshelf is kind of irregular in shape so it is loosely organized by genre and then by author, nothing too special or unique there.

6. What book have you always meant to read and haven’t gotten around to yet? Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read?

I have always meant to read the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, but just have never gotten around to it. I don't think there is anything that I feel embarrassed that I haven't read yet, there is still lots of time to get to everything...Right?

7. Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you were supposed to like but didnt? Do you remember the last book you put down without finishing?

Great Expectation by Charles Dickens. I feel like I am supposed to love this book but I was never able to get into the book.

It takes a lot for me to not finish a book, I really try to make it through a book even if i'm not enjoying it. The last book I remember not finishing was Way of the Wolf by E.E. Knight.

8. What kinds of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of?

I love Psychological Thrillers, Mysteries, Action adventure and then Urban fantasy and Paranormal books. However within all those genres I love any book that can surprise me, whether it by how a book is written, the main character, the setting, who the killer is. I love a surprise.

I now stay clear of romance novels, just not my thing.

9. If you could require the president to read one book, what would it be?

Well I don't have a president, but Prime Minister though I am pretty sure he is well read, at least that is the way that he comes across. I'd actually be interested to see what books he would recommend I read.

10. What do you plan to read next?

I have a few books on the go right now that I need to get through first, but I think my next read will be something from my Netgalley shelf that has been sorely neglected as of late.